Saturday, October 25, 2014

1980 Kawasaki KZ750

I bought this sometime after 1991
It had had a hard life, something the primary chain would remind you of, if you let it idle below 900 rpms (If you ever used a rock tumbler as a kid you know the sound)
But it ran like a scalded dog, and like a Timex watch, it could take a licking and keep on ticking.  
Light and with a short wheelbase it was a perfect bike for introducing me to sport of sport-riding.
Works performance springs out back and Progressive ones up front was all it needed to feel new.  And a lower handle bar and bullet screen was all it needed to feel right.

I did have the clutch cable break one Saturday just as I launched from a light down near Macon.  Right in front of a speed shop.  As the mechanic there was looking up the Honda shop's number in the Yellow Pages, he said there used to be a Kawasaki shop in the abandoned building on the other side of the street where I came to a halt.  Made me wonder if the bike's first owner could have been drawn to that red paint from the very show room that was now empty.